1. Stand in NaliniKIDS posture
2. Keep your feet hips width apart and parallel
3. Fold your upper body over at your hips, reaching toward the floor with your arms, keeping your head down
4. Shift your weight forward into the balls of your feet
5. Push your hips up toward the ceiling as you reach your arms down to the floor (imagine a rubber band in each of your hamstrings)
6. Grab ahold of your opposite elbows and let your head hang free (let go of any neck tension!)
7. Hold and focus on your breath, stretching a little deeper each time you exhale
You can customize the reflection prompts to meet the needs of your students and your time constraints. Create a unique workout experience every time you return to this lesson by choosing different prompts — each workout can reveal something new for students!
How does your body feel after completing the workout?
How does your mind feel after completing the workout?
What does Release mean to you in this moment?
Have you ever held on to a secret or surprise? How did it feel once you released it?
What does it feel like to release a strong emotion that you've been holding in?
Share a productive way that you could release a strong feeling you are having.
How do you release a strong feeling when you're at home?
What are the rules in your learning environment about releasing strong emotions?
In your community, where can people go to release strong feelings?
Draw a butterfly covered in spots. Within each spot, write a word to represent an emotion or sentiment that you would like to release to the world.
In your family or culture, what are some ways that people release emotions?
What happens to the body when you hold on to emotions, rather than releasing them?
We may not be aware of everything our bodies release. A person loses about 50 to 100 hairs each day!