1. Start in plank position, with your arms a little wider than your shoulders
2. Keep your feet and thighs together, and your legs straight
3. Tip your heels forward, keeping your back flat
4. Tuck your hips under and pull your abs in
5. Keep your fingers spread apart, your head in line with your spine, and your eyes focused forward
6. Keeping your chest open and shoulders down, bend your elbows down/up as you lower your body down/up
7. Push back into a down dog, shifting your weight back and raising your hips up high
– 3 reps
– On the final rep, roll up one vertebrae at a time to standing
NOTE: 10 push ups + 1 down dog = one rep
If you have back discomfort or pain:
– Reduce the range of your push up (even bending half an inch counts!)
You can customize the reflection prompts to meet the needs of your students and your time constraints. Create a unique workout experience every time you return to this lesson by choosing different prompts — each workout can reveal something new for students!
How does your body feel after completing the workout?
How does your mind feel after completing the workout?
What does Resilience mean to you in this moment?
Describe a challenge you faced that has made you more resilient.
Create a list of personal strengths that help you overcome challenges in your life.
What advice would you give to someone who is going through a hard time?
Who in your family motivates or inspires you to push through challenges? How?
Who can help you get through a challenge at school? When and how can this person help you?
When has your community gone through a hard time? How did people show resilience as a group?
Describe a character from a book, tv show, or movie who had to overcome a challenging situation. What did they learn?
Reflect on a time when your country has gone through a challenging time. How did people handle it?
Describe a piece of technology you have had for a long time that still works. Would you consider this technology resilient?
Giraffes have the most resilient trait! Their tongues are blueish-black to prevent sunburn.