1. Start in seated NaliniKIDS posture
2. Interlace your fingers, turn your palms out, and extend your arms up toward the ceiling
3. Reach up tall as you tilt your body to the right side, imagining a rubber band in your left ribs
4. Hold and focus on your breath
5. Return to center, arms still extended up to the ceiling
6. Switch sides, tilting toward the left and feeling the stretch on your right side
7. Come back to center and tilt back, arching your back
How does your body feel after completing the workout?
How does your mind feel after completing the workout?
What does Freedom mean to you in this moment?
Choose from the additional reflection prompts below to customize this lesson and meet the needs of your students and your time constraints. Create a unique workout experience every time you return to this lesson!
How has your freedom increased as you've gotten older?
Think critically about the word FREEDOM. What are some different ways that others might interpret this word?
In what ways can you still express freedom in your life while you are limited by school rules, societal norms, family responsibilities, etc.?
Do you feel like you have the freedom to make your own choices in your family? Why or why not?
How does your school handle freedom of speech when it comes to social media?
In your community, where do you feel the most free to be your true self, and why? Visit this place and take a selfie!
Exercise your freedom by freewriting on a topic of your choice.
What does it mean that the United States is a “free country,” and do you agree or disagree?
What is “freedom of speech,” and how can that freedom be limited on the internet?
The current American flag was designed by a high school student.